Sunday, January 13, 2008

Deck Rigging, Hatches, Spray Skirts and Timber

I spent some time today playing with ideas for the deck rigging and accessories.

The main accessory I'll be adding is a day hatch just behind the seat which is accessible when sitting in the boat. This will store things like sunscreen, water bladder, and camera. I got the idea for this from CLC's website. I got a waterproof quater-turn 150mm hatch today from Rosco's.



I also went hunting for a spray skirt - I really like the look of these ones from Seals Sprayskirts, but I don't think they are available in Australia :(

Here's my sketch of the deck rigging. The plan includes an all-around perimeter line and bungee as per CLC's deck rigging advice, plus the day hatch, compass/gps mount and provision for a rudder in the future.



As for timber, it looks like the Pacific Maple (not really a species, rather a generic name for stuff like Meranti), from Boatcraft could be the way to go if I can't get hold of good Gaboon. Just have to watch the weight.

No comments: